Life should be simple sometimes and so should dinner… especially after a long day of hard work or play.
A dead simple dinner at my house usually starts with sausages. They are easy to cook in various ways and are super delicious with all that fat in them 🙂 The absolute easiest way to cook them is in the oven. Simply pop them in and wait. It doesn’t get easier than that.
You can serve them with just about anything on hand, like a salad, fried onions and mushrooms, some kind of vegetable or sweet potato puree or you can spend a little extra time and serve them with home made paleo gnocchi and tomato sauce.
When buying sausages from the regular grocery store make sure that they have no breadcrumbs in them! Read the label and ingredients list! Or try to source from a local pastured pork farmer; Your local butcher may be able to help in this regard.
Last night I used hot Italian and served them with fried onions in butter, steamed french beans and Dijon mustard…. delicious
- 1 pkg Sausage (usually 4-6 links)
- 1 lrg Red Onion
- 1/2 lbs French Beans (Any vegetable of your choice will do really)
- 2 x 1 tbsp of butter (pastured/grass fed if you can find it)
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°
- Grab a cookie sheet and place some parchment paper on it.
- If you have a metal rack place that in your cookie sheet on top of the parchment.
- Unwrap your sausage and place on top of the wire rack. (No rack? Just put right onto the parchment paper)
- Put in the oven and bake for about 25-40 minutes depending on the thickness of the sausage.
- While the sausage is cooking
- Place a pot of salted water on the stove and bring to a boil
- Put the beans in a boil for about 2-3 minutes. Pour off the water, toss in 1 tbsp of butter, cover and let stand
- In a skillet add the rest of the butter and fry the sliced onions until slightly caramelized (about 5-8 minutes) Let stand
- Remove the sausages when fully cooked.
- Plate as desired.