My second job in the restaurant industry was working for a local MexiCali place owned by a few expats from California. Burritos, enchiladas, tacos and chili… The nachos were the flat kind, not the heaped up bar style you see everywhere, where each chip had cheese and topping. Damn they were good.
This is where I learned to make the most kick ass guacamole that I am now going to share with you.
To find the better avocados, you can give them a light squeeze ti see if they are too soft. As well, you can pick off the top stem to see if its a nice vibrant green under it. If it is then it’s ripe.
- 1 ripe Avocado
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 med Tomato
- 2 tbsp chopped Cilantro
- 1 clove Garlic
- juice of 1 Lime
- Salt & Pepper
- Cut the avocado in half length wise and remove the pit.
- Scoop out the avocado and place in a non reactive bowl.
- Mostly mash the avocado, leaving some chunks.
- Mince up the garlic and onion and toss it into the bowl.
- Chop up the tomato and throw it in too.
- Put in the cilantro and lime juice along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix it all up.
This is best eaten right away, but can be stored in the fridge for a few days wrapped tightly to prevent any air getting to it.