The other day, just after Canadian Thanksgiving, my friend Gen, who I work with and who helped facilitate my working in the same place, brought me in a piece of Paleo Apple Crisp that she had made… Well lets be honest. I told her she had better bring me a piece after I found out she had made it. She follows a Paleo framework as well, so I knew it would be pretty delicious and edible to me.
I figured I had better try and replicate it… My first attempt was dry and the crust too thick (I ate it any ways). However, My second attempt was perfection!!
- 6 Macintosh Apples (peeled and sliced)
- 1 Lemon (juiced)
- 1/3 cup Unpasteurized Local Honey
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 cup Ground Almonds
- 1/4 cup Slivered Almonds
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/3 – 1/4 cup Honey
- Place sliced apples, 1/3 c honey, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and toss until apple are coated.
- Place in a baking dish, pressing the apple down lightly.
- In another bowl add and mix the rest of the ingredients to make the crumble.
- Sprinkle in clumps on top of apples.
- Bake in a 350° oven until topping is browned and the apple are bubbling.
- Serve hot or cold.