I have never had, to my knowledge, Beef Brisket. Until today that is.
I was watching an episode of Big Bang Theory, where Howard Wolowitz (played by Simon Helberg) brings up his mothers brisket. I have heard about brisket many times, been to many a deli, but had never tried it. I have seen the cut of meat in many butchers and meat sections of grocery stores, but never thought twice about it up until this episode of BBT. I just had to go and get one and try it out.
Bonus: It is an inexpensive cut!!!
Paleo Beef Brisket
- 4lbs Beef Brisket
- 4 Cloves Garlic (smashed)
- 1/2 Onion (sliced)
- 1 Carrot (chopped coarse)
- 1 Sm Zucchini (chopped coarse)
- 1/2 Bnch Fresh Thyme (chopped)
- 1 Cup White Wine
- a bit of fat/oil (I used bacon fat)
- Pre-heat oven to 400F.
- Season the brisket with salt and pepper – both sides.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (or frying pan) on high with a bit of fat in it to smoking.
- Place the brisket fat side down in the hot pan and sear for a few minutes. Flip and sear a few minutes more.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add some fat and then the garlic and vegetables to the pan. Saute for a few minutes, then add the white wine to deglaze the pan.
- Pour the liquid and vegetables into a shallow roasting pan, place the brisket fat side up on top, then add the stock (I used water as I had no stock) to about 3/4 of the way up the side of the beef brisket.
- Cover tightly with tin foil or lid and place in the oven for 1 hour.
- Turn the temp down to 325F and after another hour remove the tin foil/lid (save it for later).
- Cook for another 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the brisket from the pan and set aside to rest covered in the tin foil.
- Place the remaining liquid and vegetables into a pot and bring to a low boil. Mash the vegetables into the liquid and reduce by 1/4.
- Strain liquid into a bowl or gravy boat.
- Slice the paleo beef brisket thinly across the grain and serve with a splash of the gravy over top.
- Try not to eat the whole brisket at once!!!