I made Paleosagna a few days ago and someone commented on my recipe post that a good idea for noodles was using blanched cabbage leaves. This got me thinking… Paleo Cabbage Rolls!!!
I haven’t had cabbage rolls for years. They used to be a special treat that my dad (the cook in the family) made every once in a while. All I really had to do was sub in cauliflower rice for real rice and we would be good to go.
When I told Denise (my better half) that I was making paleo style cabbage rolls, she gave me that turning up her nose look she has. The last time she had cabbage rolls was 16 years ago and they were filled with mushrooms… Denise hates mushrooms!! I thought she loved cabbage rolls. Well she ate them and have they passed muster. She has concluded that they are delicious.
12 cabbage leaves
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 1 1/2 cup Cooked Cauliflower Rice
- 1/2 cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 can (8 ounces ) Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) Diced Tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tbsp Unpasteurized Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Tapioca Flour mixed with 1/4 cup Cold Water
- Chop the bottom off the cabbage and core it. Place the cabbage into boiling salted water; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Start peeling the cabbage leaves off every so often when they loosen and drain well.
- Combine the pork, beef, cauliflower rice, onion, eggs, almond flour, salt, pepper, garlic, thyme and milks. Mix well and divide into 12 portions.
- Place a portion into the center of each cabbage leaf. Roll leaf around filling and fasten with a toothpick.
- Place in a baking dish.
- Now combine crushed tomatoes, tomatoes, vinegar, and 1/2 cup of water and pour over cabbage rolls.
- Bake covered in a preheated 350° oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the rolls from the pan and discard toothpicks.
- Place pan with juices over medium heat or transfer the juices to a pot and place over heat; stir tapioca flour and water mixture into the sauce; bring to a boil and cook until thickened.
Recipe for cabbage rolls serves 6.