My youngest son (13) loves the taste of lemon and lime dessert-y things like Limoncello ice cream or lime yogurt or lemon/limeade. I thought it would be a nice treat to make everyone some Key Lime pie to have after our grilled steak dinner tonight.
The recipe is just something I whipped together with what I had on hand. We think it turned out pretty well 🙂
- 1 1/4 cup Ground Almond
- 1/4 cup Tapioca Starch
- 1/2 stick of Butter
- 2 tbsp Honey, raw, local
- 2 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 2 cups Coconut Milk
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup Tapioca Starch
- 1/4 cup Honey, raw, local
- Juice of 2 Limes
- grated rind of 1 Lime
- Pre-heat the oven to 300°
- Melt the butter in a bowl.
- Toss in the rest of the ingredients and mix together thoroughly.
- Spread out evenly in a 9″ pie tin using the back of a spoon or your fingers.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, honey and egg yolks.
- Whisk in the tapioca starch and transfer to a pot.
- Place the pot on med-high heat and stir until the filling starts to thicken.
- Add in the lime rind and juice stirring to combine.
- Keep stirring until the filling gets quite thick and remove from the heat.
- Remove the pie crust from the oven.
- Pour the still warm filling into the pie shell careful not to over fill.
- Place the pie into the fridge to set (2 hours min)
- If you have to much filling (it happens…), you can just fill some ramekins and refrigerate them for a snack later.. Yum!