I am the first one to say that I love me my meat and veggies… Grilled, slow roasted, fried, whatever, But after a while you just want something else. There are only so many grilled steaks and salad or roast chicken and cauliflower that you can take without yearning for something a little different.
I was racking my brain for just such an idea and Lasagna kept trying to rear its ugly head in there. I could totally make it using eggplant or zucchini as the noodles, but really, that would not be the same. It would be more like a vegetable and beef stew, which I didn’t want.
Then it dawned on me…I could use my paleo tortillas as the “noodles”. That would totally work! (Maybe).
Well, it turned out fracking awesome!!! Holy Italian paleo comfort food win!! This recipe is more Primal than Paleo as I use goat cheese, but you can easily just omit the cheese and add a few more layers and veggies.
Palaosagna (Paleo Lasagna)
- 1 lb of Ground Beef (grass finished is preferred)
- 2 cans Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 med Onion (chopped)
- 1 bnch Spinach
- 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2tbsp Oregano
- 1 cup Goat Cheese
- 1/2 cup Ewes Milk Cheddar
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 batch of Coconut Tortillas
- In a pot saute the onions and the garlic in your preferred fat until they start to soften (about 2 min).
- Add in the ground beef and stir until cooked through.
- Add in the oregano and cook for another minute.
- Add in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is simmering, place the spinach in a microwave safe bowl and nuke for 1 minute on high, then set aside to cool.
- Now is the time to start making the tortillas if you haven’t pre-made them.
- Once everything is ready, Grab an 8×11 metal or glass dish and place a layer of sauce on the bottom.
- Now place a layer of the Paleo tortillas, followed by a layer of sauce and then the spinach.
- Add another layer of tortillas. Spread the goat cheese over the tortillas (softening the goat cheese in the microwave for a minute makes this step easy).
- Add a layer of sauce, a layer of tortillas, a layers of sauce and then the cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the oven on a cookie sheet at 350° for 30 minutes. (the cookie sheet will prevent any saucy drips from dirtying your oven).