I used to make this salad when I was the head chef of the now closed Bamboo Dining Lounge in downtown Toronto. The menu was a fusion of Thai and West Indian, so this recipe reflects that.
- 3 lrg Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lrg Onion
- 2 ribs Celery
- 1 Red Pepper
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 3 Green Onions
- 1 bnch Thai Basil (regular is ok)
- Bacon Fat/Butter/Ghee
- 4 tbsp Homemade Mayonnaise.
- 1/4 Lime
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes and place in a bowl of cold water to keep from oxidizing (discoloring).
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Strain the water from the cubed sweet potatoes, sprinkle with s&p and toss with the onion, garlic and bacon fat.
- Place on a tray in a preheated 375° oven until they have cooked through and browned nicely (30 – 45 minutes)
- While they are roasting, chop up the celery, red pepper and green onions. Set aside.
- Chop up the basil and set aside.
- Combine the mayo, fish sauce and juice of 1/4 lime together and set aside
- When the sweet potatoes are done, remove from the oven and let cool to at least room temperature before continuing.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, turning over gently so as to not break up the sweet potato too much.
- Refrigerate and serve cold.