So I’ve been wanting an easy snack/recovery nibble for after my workouts…
I am not into any of the highly processed recovery drinks and protein shakes/powders available… I wanted something more natural and paleocentric.
Hence this recipe.
I can bring one with me to the gym or keep it in the car for emergencies. It is very shelf stable and doesn’t really need to be refrigerated 🙂 .
2 2″squares are more than enough to tide me over til the next meal when on the run.
- 1/8 cup Cider Vinegar (naturally fermented)
- 1/8 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Dates (dried, pitted and roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup Almonds
- 1/2 cup Pecans
- 1/4 cup Apricots (dried, roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup Organic Figs (dried, roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup Cherries (dried)
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1/4 cup Hemp Seeds
- 1/2 cup Coconut (shredded, unsweetened)
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour cider vinegar and water over dates and let soak for 10 minutes.
- Place nuts, apricots, and figs in a food processor and pulse a few times until coarsely chopped.
- Add dates with liquid and pulse until mixture starts to stick together.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Add cherries, coconut and seeds, kneading the batter until all is well incorporated.
- You can roll out the dough into thin sheets and cut squares out of it or use cookie cutters to make different shapes.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat until all batter is used up.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Using a heatproof spatula, gently turn bars over and bake another 10-12 minutes, or until nuts are toasted (but before fruit begins to burn).
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.