So, I just happened to be trolling through my Facebook feed when I happened upon a post by a friend recommending an upside down cake.. a coconut banana upside down cake!!
Now when I was growing up, my mother was not a great cook, but what she did make well was an awesome pineapple upside down cake. So you can see why this new recipe headline may have caught my eye.
One look at the recipe and I knew that I could convert it to be acceptable to those of us following a paleo framework.
Tell me what you think…
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 1 ½ cups Tapioca Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup Honey
- 1tsp Vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 Bananas (sliced 1/4 inch thick)
- 3/4 cups Shredded Coconut
- ¼ cup Honey
- ½ can Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a bowl, mix the flours, eggs, Coconut milk, honey and vanilla until well combined.
- Place banana slices evenly on the bottom of an oiled cake pan.
- In a small saucepan melt butter. Add ½ can of coconut milk, honey and lemon juice and reduce by half. Pour half of the sauce into the cake pan over the bananas. Then sprinkle in the shredded coconut.
- Pour the cake batter on top of the coconut.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Invert onto a serving dish
- Pour the rest of the sauce over each serving slice when served.