Comfort Food. Sometimes this can be the hardest food to do an a paleo diet. These are usually (at least in western culture) rib sticking, flour soaked dishes that fll our bellies with emotionally charged goodness…
I really wanted Chicken Pot Pie the other day, and wanted to serve it on my Paleo Meal Delivery Service. After some time researching paleo pie crust recipes, I decided to try out The Healthy Foodies Pie Crust. I didn’t have any Lard on hand so used coconut oil instead, but exactly the same way as she used the lard.
As well, you can use whatever herbs you have on hand to make this dish… If you don’t like rosemay, leave it out and add what you do like 🙂
Hot damn, this was good!!
- Paleo Pie Crust
- 1 lb Chicken (boneless, chopped)
- 2 c Chicken Broth
- 2 Celery Stalks (diced)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 1 Carrot (diced)
- 1 Sweet Potato (diced)
- 1/4 C Fennel (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp Fresh Thyme
- 2 tsp Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tbsp Tapioca Flour
- 1 tsp Coconut Flour
- S & P to taste
- 1 Egg (whisked)
- Make the pie crust ahead of time and get it ready in the dish/pan you are using while the filling is being prepared.
- Pre heat the oven to 375°
- In a pot, add some oil or fat and saute the onions and garlic.
- When the onions start to get translucent, toss in the chicken.
- Once the chicken is almost cooked through, toss in the rest of the vegetables.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, then add in the herbs.
- Pour in the broth until it comes to just under the top of the mixture.
- Simmer on med until the chicken is cooked through and the sweet potatos start to break down.
- Turn the heat down and add in the tapioca and coconut flours.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon or ladle the chicken filling into the Paleo pie crust filled dish/pan.
- Cover with the top layer of pie crust.
- Using a brush, wash the top of the pie crust with the whisked egg.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the crust is a nice golden brown.
I used 4 individual extra large ramekins to make my recipe, but a deep 8″ round or square pan would work equally as well.