I don’t know what it is about Crab Cakes, but people seem to just love them. They see them on a menu or at a cocktail party and they get all, “Oooo, look, crab cakes!! C r a b C a k e s!!”
Really, for those in the know, they are extremely easy to prepare, don’t cost that much and you can blow the socks off of the people you serve them to (including yourself).
I like to serve mine with a paleo Caesar or sweet potato salad. You can even cut them in half, add a bit of mayo, tomato, lettuce and bacon for a wicked take on the classic BLT.
- 3 cans Crab Meat
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Ground Almonds
- 1/2 cup Hemp Hearts
- 1/2 Red Pepper (minced)
- 1/2 Red Onion (minced)
- 1/4 cup Celery (minced, include some of the leafy bit)
- 2 tbsp Thyme (fresh, chopped)
- 1 tbsp Tapioca Flour
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre heat oven to 350°
- Open and drain the water from the canned crab. Squeeze out and place in a bowl.
- Toss in the rest of the ingredients and combine thoroughly.
- Heat some coconut oil or lard in a frying pan at med/high heat.
- Place a food ring on a spatula and fill with crab mix. Tamp down.
- Slide the crab cake off into the pan and remove the ring.
- Cook until the crab cakes browns on one side then flip over and cook for another minute.
- Remove from pan and place on cookie sheet.
- Once all of the cakes are on the cookie sheet, place them in the oven to finish. 10-20 minutes.
You can make a dipping sauce for these by making Paleo Mayo and adding some pureed mango or cayenne pepper with lime juice.
- Lrg Bowl
- Fry Pan
- Cookie Sheet
- Lrg Spoon
- Stainless Steel Food Ring