I love serendipitous finds at the grocery store… Looking around my local, and hankering for some grilled lamb, I spotted some in one of those freezer bins near the meat department.
Lamb is ALWAYS expensive at my local store, but today… Rack of New Zealand Lamb at $7.00/lbs!? Holy fuck!!! What an amazing price for around these parts.
Guess who left with 7 racks in his basket? Yeah, that’s right me!!! I love lamb. And on top of that it is grass fed!! Oh Yeah!!
Of course I went back the next day to grab some more, but no luck… It was all gone. Go figure!?
- 1 Rack of Lamb
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Raw Macadamia Nuts (coarse chopped)
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce (sugar free)
- 3-5 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Put all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender and combine until smooth.
- Pat the rack of lamb dry with a paper towel.
- In a pan or bowl, cover the lamb with a nice coating of pesto and let sit to marinate it for about an hour in the fridge.
- You can either roast the rack at this point or grill it… It’s up to you. (I prefer grilling it)
- Roasting: 25-40 minutes in a hot oven depending on desired doneness.
- Grilling: Sear both sides of the rack on a high grill… #-4 minutes a side. Then move to the top rack, reduce the heat and cook another 20-40 minutes depending on desired doneness.
- Let sit on counter tented in foil for 5-10 minutes and then carve down between each rib.
Serves 2 Paleo peeps or 3-4 regular peeps J