Back in the 90s , there was an awesome magazine from Britain called “Food Illustrated” It was over sized, glossy, hardly had any advertising and focused solely on great food from around the world. It had big artsy pictures, talked about sustainability and organics before it was all trendy and cool. Most of all, I found it truly inspiring… Then it was bought out by a huge grocery chain called “Waitrose” and, well, down hill it went 🙁
In fact, they are the only magazine that has a permanent place on my cookbook shelf in my kitchen 🙂 So many great recipes!!
This soup featured prominently on the front cover of one of the issues and the wonderful pinkness is what drew me to it.
- 2 medium Beets (washed, Diced)
- 2 Shallots (minced)
- 1 stalk Lemongrass (chopped)
- ½ thumb Galangal (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Cilantro Root (chopped)
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 2 cups Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
- Coconut Oil
- In a pot, boil the beets in the stock until soft and tender.
- In a skillet, fry the shallots in the oil until translucent.
- Transfer the shallots to the pot along with all of the other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Using a blender or a mixing wand, puree the soup.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- Serve hot or cold